Our founding partner was born in Guatemala City in 1945. His prominent legal career spanned 45 years of professional practice, throughout which he acquired many professional honors and a reputation for being Guatemala’s leading lawyer in his field: employer-side labor law.
Throughout his career, he was widely recognized for his adeptness at litigation, negotiation, and labor consultancy issues. Accordingly, his clients included some of the most important companies in the largest industries in the country.
He was also passionate about the legal formation of future generations, having taught at two of the most prestigious law faculties in Guatemala for more than 25 years.
Click here to Read More
His trajectory and achievements are summarized below.
- Lawyer and Notary for the Rafael Landívar University
- Rafael Landívar University Rectorate Prize 1966, 1967, 1968 & 1969
- Director of the Labor Law Area of the Faculty of Law of the Francisco Marroquín University.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Faculty of Law of the Francisco Marroquín University (Representative of the Senate).
- Permanent member of the Advisory Board of the Faculty of Law of the Marroquin University.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Faculty of Legal and Social Sciences of the Rafael Landívar University 1981-1982 (Representative of the Senate).
- President of the Ibero-American Association of Labor Law – Guatemala Branch.
- Member of the Ibero-American Association of Jurists of Labor Law and Social Security Dr. Guillermo Cabanellas.
- Member of the Drafting Commission of the Labor Code Project drawn up in 1979 at the initiative of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare
- Member of the Drafting Commission of the Draft Labor Procedural Code drawn up in 1980 on the initiative of the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare.
- Member of the Guatemalan Delegation before the 70th. Conference of the International Labor Organization (ILO) in Geneva, Switzerland 1984.
- Invited lecturer in seminars and teaching and scientific activities in the field of Labor Law, organized by public and private institutions.
- Member Director of the Board of Directors of the Alternate Conflict Resolution Commission -Arbitration, Mediation and Conciliation- of the Chamber of Industry of Guatemala -CRECIG-.
- National (Labor) Arbitrator certified and proposed by the Government of Guatemala in the Free Trade Agreement between the Dominican Republic, Central America, and the United States (CAFTA-DR), since 2006.
- Guest lecturer in different seminars and events of the Universidad del Valle, Committee of Agricultural, Commercial, Industrial and Financial Chambers (CACIF), Association of Managers of Guatemala, Association of Human Resources Managers of Guatemala, Sugar Association of Guatemala, Project Cumple y Gana, Guatemalan American Chamber of Commerce (AMCHAM), Guatemalan Bar Association and other entities and public institutions.
At Bufelco, we continue to mourn our founder’s death and celebrate the way he lived his life.